02 March 2014

Drowning

Jim Gaffigan, the comedian, does this joke about what it's like having four kids. He say to imagine that you're drowning, and somebody hands you a baby, that's what it's like. It makes me laugh so hard, but it really is a good way to describe life for us right now, and even more so what it was like last year. Zion is getting easier in some ways, but he is so full of energy and has no fear, so it takes a lot out of us. I don't have to hold him as much now, but that means I'm chasing him or saving him from some crazy predicament (standing on the table, jumping on beds and couches). It really wears me out and I don't get much of anything done. The other kids keep me busy too, dropping off, picking up, doing homework, chores, trying to convince Lydia that she does need a nap. It's pretty crazy around here, and some days it does feel like I'm drowning. But the kids go to bed and I get to hang out with my husband. And some days we get to play and have fun. Some days Hyrum does chores without being asked to (hoping to choose from the treasure box of course). Some days I get to wrestle with them and hear their contagious laughter. Sometimes they surprise me with a dandilion flower, or a picture or a note from question mark (Selah). Sometime Zion gives hugs and kisses instead of smacking my face. Sometimes Lydia climbs into my arms asking me to bring her to bed. Sometimes they initiate mature conversations and I get to teach them things. Sometimes they tell me when they are feeling the Spirit. Sometimes, instead of drowning, I am riding in a raft with my life vest on and having a nice little adventure!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Jess, you're awesome. I love this post because its real and true. You have a beautiful family. Miss you guys!