26 September 2006

Speaking Honestly

Jared and I gave talks on Sunday. Our topic was honesty, I talked about the reasons why we need to be honest and Jared talked about having an honest heart. We didn't have much time to prepare, but the Lord made up the difference because we were both able to share what was in our hearts and lots of people told us they liked what we had to say. Most importantly, the Spirit was there. I wanted to post the text of my talk, so here it is:

A little about our family:
We’ve both kind of lived all over. Jared grew up in Southern CA, then moved to Littleton, CO, then to Albuquerque, NM. From there he went on his mission to Washington State. While he was gone, his family moved back to Colorado. I grew up in Northern CA, moved to Provo,UT after high school, then went to Colorado looking for a change. That’s how we ended up in the same place at the same time. Jared and I became friends after meeting in the singles ward. We eventually started dating and got married. To give you a hint about the type of guy Jared is, I’ll tell you this: He proposed with an adjustable CTR ring, he was poor, and he worked at Deseret Book, go figure. He told me that it stood for “crappy temporary ring” and was supposed to last until we got a real one. We’ve been married for over two years, and have a very sweet baby girl named Selah who is just over a year old. Many of you know that I am Carrie Rowley’s daughter, some get confused because they don’t realize that Steve is my step-dad since I don’t look anything like him, but he loves me just as much as my real dad, so I guess it doesn’t matter anyway. Recently, my older brother Jay moved up here with his family, they are in our ward too. It’s great to have lots of family around.

So my topic today is honesty.
What is honesty?
To be sincere, truthful, and without deceit. (From LDS.org “Guide to the Scriptures”)

I’d like to talk about why we should be honest:
So that people will trust us, we don’t want to be like the boy who cried wolf.
To be good people in general.
Because we are supposed to, it’s a commandment:
Alma 41:14 Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again.
To please our Father In Heaven:
Proverbs 12:22 lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight
Because as Latter-day Saints, we represent Christ, and he would have us be honest.
To have the Spirit with us:
The spirit speaks truth and can’t be with us if we are dishonest or deceitful.
Jacob 4:13 Behold, my brethren, he that prophesieth, let him prophesy to the understanding of men; for the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are; and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls. But behold, we are not witnesses alone in these things; for God also spake them unto prophets of old.
To realize/achieve our true potential:
Thanissaro Bhikkhu a Buddist monk stated: “Real honesty is being honest about what your possibilities are, what your potentials are.”
If we are honest with ourselves, we will develop our talents and we will live with an eternal perspective.
To be humble:
If we are honest, we will realize that God is the source of our blessings and that we are nothing without Him and without our Savior. So, in that sense, pride is a form of dishonesty.
The most important reason to be honest is so that we can be at peace. I know of at least two ways that being honest can bring peace:
First, if we do something dishonest like steal, cheat or tell a lie, we cannot feel good about it, our conscience/the Spirit will keep reminding us that we need to make it right, until we do. When we confess and truly repent, peace can replace those bad feelings.
Second, sometimes we feel like we have to act or look a certain way or do certain things for people to like us or even to feel good about ourselves. Instead of acting the way Heavenly Father would have us act, we try to follow the crowd, or “the world.” But in reality, the worldly ways are Satan’s ways and we can never be at peace if we are giving in to the temptations of Satan. If we can let go of all of our insecurities and just “Come unto Christ,” He will heal us and help us find the peace we are seeking. That, of course, might sound easier than it really is. Coming unto Christ is a process, it’s a way of life, and it’s not always easy. But if we make the sacrifice, it is most certainly worth it.

I know that our Savior atoned for our sins so that He would be able to succor his people. I testify that He did that for me, and he did that for each one of you. I know that if we are honest with Him, He will help us turn weaknesses into strengths. He loves each of us, of that I am confident. I say these things in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your talk. You did a beautiful job on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jes,
Thanks for the update, it's always fun to read about my family and to see new pictures. I miss you guys, especially when I read all about the new things that Selah is doing. I have your card in the car and didn't get it mailed on Saturday, but this way you won't get everything on your birthday, it helps prolong the fun!
Love you guys, keep up the wonderful job of parenting, etc.
XOXO
Mother Lollie and Father Steve