12 June 2008

Corn Syrup is Bad

So I think I posted info about doctor visits with Hyrum. Sorry if I repeat myself here, but I feel like I should document all of this so I can look back at it later. Feel free to skip the really long details and just look at how weird his stomach looks in the pictures because of his allergy to formula (more specifically the corn syrup in formula). And for myself and anyone who might be interested, here's the background...

It goes back a ways. When I had Selah, I tried to breastfeed. I didn't know that she wasn't latched on right, so after 5 days of thinking that she had gas or something, I took her to the doctor and discovered that she was very dehydrated and had lost more than 10% of her birth weight. (Born at 7lb 14oz, she was now only 6lb something - I wish I could remember.) We had to get blood tests done and I tried working with a lactation specialist, but ended up in the hospital so they could safely re-hydrate her without risking other issues. We were so relieved that we knew she was getting the nourishment she needed. I pumped in a freezing cold room in the hospital without much success. I tried all kinds of things that I don't need to get into right now. What it comes down to is that after 4 weeks of trying to get her to latch on right and increase my milk supply, I had no success. It was time to make the decision to stop trying, and just work on learning to be a mom. Anyone who has dealt with this kind of thing knows how hard it is, and anyone who hasn't, I'm jealous, but I'm glad that I can now empathize with those who have. That is important to me. Anyway, Selah had issues with vomiting that I now know was because of an allergy to something in the formula. We tried Nestle Goodstart first, then switched to the Infamil AR (added rice), then as she started to grow out of the vomiting (5-6 months old), we ended up on the Goodstart for older babies because it was cheaper and we didn't have WIC anymore. Fast forward to baby #2. I was sure that breastfeeding would be much easier this time since I knew to breastfeed immediately, get help latching him on, and to listen for swallowing. But I felt like a first time mom since I really didn't know how to breastfeed. I had dreams in the last few weeks that I had the baby and I kept forgetting to feed him. So he was born, I breastfed right away, it was uncomfortable, but we watched his diapers and could tell he was eating. Then I went home...
This is really hard for me to re-visit, by the way. I was really sore, because I know some of my readers don't want the gory details, I will just say I was sore. It hurt a lot! Then that night (day 2 of life), I had deja vu. Hyrum was hungry but wouldn't eat. It was just like those 5 days with Selah (well day 2-5) and I just couldn't do it. I was crying, which is not uncommon right after having a baby, and after praying, I decided to have Jared go out and buy some formula. I know that I made the right decision, but for some reason it was much harder on me this time. It makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to breastfeed. With all the issues I've had with formula, I would like to exclusively breastfeed like I've always planned. Maybe some day I'll get the chance. I'll leave it in the Lord's hands for now.

Back to allergies. We started Hyrum on Nestle Good Start, and at first he did pretty well. He threw up sometimes, but it was sporadic and it seemed like sometimes we were feeding him too much. It got worse and worse as time went by. I tend not to worry too much, but finally decided that we should see if there was something we could do. The doctor switched him to Similac Soy which seemed okay for a week or two, then it made things worse, and it smells like french fries as I mentioned in a previous post. Then a couple months ago, I started noticing a bulge in his stomach. You can kinda see it in the photos below. We got an ex-ray and went to a specialist who told us that his stomach was about 4x bigger than it is supposed to be because it was so filled with air. He ordered another precautionary ex-ray followed by a visit where we would most likely put my baby on a prescription to reduce the air in his tummy. While I was waiting to be able to schedule the ex-ray, I talked to my midwife and she said it sounded like an allergy. She also said I could use olive oil to help him pass the air. So I went out to buy formula. While I was at Wal-Mart, I had about three different kinds I was trying to choose between. I wasn't sure if I should get the one for lactose sensitivity or the one without corn syrup, or the really expensive, hypoallergenic kind. I trusted my instinct and got the cheapest one that didn't have corn syrup. I also gave him olive oil two days in a row and though he seemed uncomfortable while getting rid of all that gas, he got better and stopped spitting up so much. I ended up switching again, because of WIC, but now we're on Similac Advance and things are pretty good. (The Similac Sensitive made things worse for a few weeks.) His tummy is pretty normal and he's not spitting up all the time. He started eating way more, and gained tons of weight. It's been a long 5 1/2 months, but it's nice to not be worried anymore, and maybe I can buy new clothes again without having them get ruined right away!

Check out the weird tummy bulge!


Now look how chubby he is!

4 comments:

Bridget said...

I am so impressed that you have worked through this difficult issue. Way to go. Hyrum has to feel so much better now, thanks to you trying to find the right answers.

Melanie said...

I came across your blog and read you story about your sweet little boy. I have 3 children who have different allergies and intolerances. It's extremely frustrating, but we have had great success. There are so many options out there. Time will tell with your little guy. If you ever need recipes, or for what it's worth our experience, let me know. Best of health to you all.

The Wynn Family said...

We have so much more in common than I ever realized. I had the exact issues with breastfeeding. Acadia seriously lost over a pound before we realized what was wrong. I felt like I was such an awful mother, but I got over it and thought it would get better with baby number two... not to happen. We figured it out with Trey much earlier and got him on formula. And after I had my few days of crying and feeling awful then he plumped up and we were both much happier. So if you ever need a listening ear,I'm here. I still have to say Hyrum is still cutest baby.

Nay said...

Oh no, poor guy, poor tummy!
I admire you for giving it your best try. It seems like there was no easy choice for you, both bottle feeding and breast feeding caused problems. We are lucky to live during this time when moms have so many options available.

I'm hearing THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS right now, I haven't heard this song in over ten years! What a crack up!