09 March 2008

Leap Day Cake

If you've been paying attention to our blog, you know by now that Selah loves to cook. She pulls a chair into the kitchen and says, "Let's cook something," or, "I'm gonna help you cook." Well, on Feb 29th, we were having a fun day and for one of our activities, we took a bowl of water outside and I put a couple drops of food coloring in it to show Selah how the colors would change the water. After a few minutes of playing with the mixing bowl filled with water, she said, "let's make a cake!" She decided to make a blue and pink cake (those were the colors we were mixing in the water). So after lunch we baked a cake. I used a white cake mix and separated the batter putting blue food coloring into one section and pink in another and leaving the rest white. Then we swirled the colors together in the pan. It turned out pretty cool, too bad I forgot to take a picture of one of the pieces. I put frosting and sprinkles on top to surprise her after her nap, she liked it so much that she just had to dip her fingers into it. I love to see her love of cooking and baking at such a young age. I have always loved to bake especially and hope to always share kitchen time with my kids. By always, I mean throughout their lives, not necessarily every day. I love how excited she is when she helps me cook, she loves it when people talk about what a great job she did.


Happy Leap Day!

2 comments:

Brittney said...

Fun! Pretty sure I was never into cooking... :) I still have a hard time with it!

Lisa said...

How cute :) Hannah and Selah should get together sometime and cook for us. LOL Hannah loves to cook too.