22 December 2008

Trimming the Tree

Here we are decorating the tree. We got a small tree this year, only about 4 1/2 feet tall and put it on our coffee table (covered in felt) and put it in the corner. We hoped this would keep Hyrum from climbing the tree and pulling it over or knocking it down with his walker. It worked pretty well, but he did try to pull the ornaments off when we weren't fast enough to keep him away. He especially loved the bells. We have a tradition to get a new ornament for each of the kids every year. This started for Jared when he was born, so he had a number of ornaments to take with him when he moved out and got married. He has stories for many of the ornaments which makes putting them on the tree really fun. When I was growing up, I would get excited about getting a tree and decorating, but after a couple ornaments, I was ready to be done. I guess it just got boring unless the ornaments actually meant something to me. Now I miss our old ornaments and wish I could look at them all and try to remember their stories. Anyway, Jared and I decided to continue his tradition with our own family. Our first Christmas, his mom sent us each an ornament, but after that we started getting our own. This year we decided that we'd focus on getting ornaments for the kids, plus one (optional) family ornament. Below, Hyrum is putting up his ornament from last year. He was only 5 days old last Christmas and still in the womb when his first ornament was put on the tree. I can't believe how much he has grown!Selah is putting up her new one from this year. This was the first year she could really help decorate the tree. She LOVED it and did a great job.

No comments: